Believe it or not, there are some easy ways you can save money on groceries. Here are a few things that we do to save:
1) We keep track of our grocery spending. We use a simple Excel spreadsheet to keep track of spending each month. That way throughout the month, we can double check how much we’ve already spent. This keeps us on track.
2) We check the online flyer for our favorite grocery store and make our grocery list according to the sales. Of course, we don’t buy things just because they’re on sale, but if the items are a staple we will make note of the best price and be sure to select that brand.
3) We buy two weeks’ worth of groceries at once rather than going to the store multiple times. We find this saves us a lot of money and time, too. If you’re going to do this, it is important that you eat the items that go bad fast first, and then save the longer lasting items until the second week. It won’t take you long to figure this out.
4) We use our Visa rewards card every time we pay for groceries. By doing so, we earn reward points that we can redeem for travel and other perks. We make sure to pay the balance in full each month so as to avoid any interest or late fees.
5) We keep on top of the latest grocery store offers. Our main grocery store always has a special reward for spending a certain amount of money. The deal varies from week to week, so we make a note of the deal and if we think we will be spending enough to take advantage of the deal, we make sure to do just that. If we are very close to spending the amount, we try to grab an extra few items that we will use and we will add them to our total if necessary. That way we are less likely to miss out on the freebie. Note that we don’t buy just anything, we make sure it’s something we are sure to use.
6) We stock up on non-perishable items when they go on sale. We always check the expiry dates and if we know we will be able to use the items before they expire, we stock up on these items when they are on sale. Examples of things we stock up on include cereal, canned beans, pasta sauces, etc. If you’ve got room to store non-perishables and you can afford to stock up, this can save you a lot of money.
7) We buy bulk spices. Spices can be pricy so whenever possible we buy our pepper and other spices from the bulk section. This way you don’t have to pay for packaging/containers.
There are many other ways to save money on your grocery bill each month. The trick is to find what works best for your family and to stick to it. You will be surprised at how much you will be able to save and this will free up some cash for other things.